[TriLUG] Red Hat's 12 month policy

Mike M linux-support at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 4 21:43:43 EST 2003

On Tuesday 04 February 2003 17:58, Chris Hedemark wrote:
>> So, in the end, I'm just trolling for opinions on this out of
>> curiosity.

> I was worried about it until RH pointed out to me a link (that wasn't very
> well populated yet) pre-announcing their Advanced Workstation product.
> Corporate desktops can run the AW product and have a really long product
> life cycle, much like AS customers currently enjoy.  Folks who want to run
> the consumer OS's will be stuck with the 1 year until EOL.  Depending on
> the pricing for AW, I can probably live with that.
> Before I knew about AW, I was pretty uneasy about deploying RH on desktops
> at work.  Now I'm in the "wait & see" mode.

Seems like OK policy for a company trying to make a buck by making tiered
products.  I'm headed down the Debian path myself.  Since starting with Linux
I've witnessed RH6.1, 6.2, 7.0, 7.1, 7.2, 7.3, 8.0 releases.  I prefer a
slower pace of change myself with more emphasis on stability and incremental
change.  Linux is supposed to be something you try to understand.  I can't
understand things if they change too fast.  My $02.

--
Mike M.