[TriLUG] Red Hat's 12 month policy

Tom Bryan tbryan at python.net
Tue Feb 4 19:11:42 EST 2003

On Wednesday 05 February 2003 02:43 am, Mike M wrote:
> prefer a slower pace of change myself with more emphasis on stability and
> incremental change.  Linux is supposed to be something you try to
> understand.  I can't understand things if they change too fast.  My $02.

That's funny.  I actually like the short release cycle.  I've skipped just a
few of those releases (such as 7.0), but I like to upgrade once or twice a
year so that I can operate with a stable environment most of the time...
except for a few weeks after the upgrade where I stumble across all of the
new features/bug fixes in the apps that I use most often.  I also read the
package list of what I'm installing and make note of apps that I'd like to
check out when I have time.

I probably wouldn't mind a slower update cycle if I were better about using an
automated up2date/current server (apt-get in Debian) to keep me up to date
with various changes.  Since I've never set that up at home, I just upgrade
my machines by hand from time to time.

---Tom