[TriLUG] Recording Eric Raymond's Talk(s)

Jeff Jackowski jeffj1 at hiwaay.net
Fri Feb 7 17:23:44 EST 2003

On Fri, 7 Feb 2003, Brian Daniels wrote:

>> > For LP mode, the tape is run slower, but the data format is the same. The
>> > only degradation will be an increased error rate, which still won't happen
>> > often, but it will happen maybe 2 to 5 times per tape. The rest of the
>> > time it'll look the same as SP mode. Just have that playback problem to
>> > work around.
>>
>> Actually, Jeff, please look at the URL I posted previously (in Mozilla,
>> because Konqueror and Safari seem to give a 404 on it).  LP mode for
>> miniDV does *not* run slower, but it does adjust the width of the
>> tracks from 10 microns to about 6 microns.  If two different miniDV
>> players aren't perfectly aligned, then there can be problems.
>
>To jump in here: (off-topic!)
>
>It makes the track width narrower by slowing down the tape.  The video
>heads are inside a spinning drum that is mounted at an angle to the tape.
>The heads pass over a diagonal slice of tape as the drum rotates:

Thanks for clearing that up. I was wondering what weirdness was going on
because in the manual to my camcorder, it lists to different tape speeds:
0.75"/s and 0.5"/s. That makes more sense than any other way because how
else would it be done? The fewer ways the heads move, the more reliable
they'll be.

--
Jeff Jackowski
        http://ro.com/~jeffj/