[TriLUG] Recording Eric Raymond's Talk(s)

Jeff Jackowski jeffj1 at hiwaay.net
Sat Feb 8 19:42:01 EST 2003

On Fri, 7 Feb 2003, Chris Hedemark wrote:

[snip]

>Like I said, I'll work with whatever you send me, but IMHO it is worth
>while to try to make it look as good as possible (even if that means
>possibly eating into a second tape).

Since the first talk is scheduled to last 75 minutes and the second one
may well be longer, even an 80 minute tape on SP is not going to last.
Without using LP, and copying to SP tapes, we're going to need to change
tapes during the talk. We'll need some coordination during the talk, hand
signals I'd imagine, so that only one tape is being changed at a time and
there is some time between changes. That way there is no break in the
video.

>  But if the video looks more like
>a home movie than a professional documentary, PBS will never touch it
>(public access cable will take *anything* though).

It would be nice to have some similarly good looking DVD menus. Images
taken from video look best as stills when they are either from progressive
scan video or they are scaled down 2x or smaller. Images from digital
still photo cameras look even better, but may need to be blurred slightly
to avoid a bouncing-up-and-down look on regular TV's.

A little checklist:
	* Any grpahic artists here interested in making the DVD menus?
	* Will anyone be using a good still photo camera at the events?
	* Who will be showing up at which of the two talks?
	  I'm planning on being at both, and hopefully will be there
	  early.

--
Jeff Jackowski
        http://ro.com/~jeffj/