[TriLUG] OT: USA Patriot Act II

prhodes at vdsinc.com prhodes at vdsinc.com
Mon Feb 10 09:57:15 EST 2003

> This brings me to some other questions.  After searching the archives I
> see that you have an e-mail address that resolves back to the UK yet you
> have posted local (919) phone numbers on the list.  Are you an ex-pat
> Brit living here in the USA or are you a US Citizen with a UK e-mail
> address?  Just curious.  The reason why I ask this stems from a .sig
> from an e-mail you sent previously which can be viewed by clicking on
> the provided link (I have also included this at the end of this
> e-mail):  <"http://www.trilug.org/pipermail/dev/2002-March/000175.html">

Nope, I'm definitely American. Born and bred right here in North Carolina.
I just registered my domain name as a .co.uk for grins and giggles.  If
you're really interested in more of an explanation, it's in the FAQ
at www.cpphacker.co.uk/faq.html

> I work with Brits on a daily basis and I find your comments about
> Afghanistan to mirror those of my English co-workers which leads me back
> to the "are you an ex Brit Pat in-country on a H-1B visa"?

> Phillip's old sig:
> "America is at war with Afghanistan.  America has always been at war
> with Afghanistan.  Russia is our ally.  Russia has always been our ally.

That sig is a play on the thing from Orwell's 1984, "Oceania is at war with
Eurasia,
Oceania has always been at war with Eurasia.  Eastasia is our ally,
Eastasia has always
been our ally."  My variation doesn't really "mean" anything per se, I just
threw
it in there around the time the whole Afghanistan thing started, to give
people something
to think about.

If you haven't figured it out yet, I'm an avid Libertarian, am very
distrustful of big,
invasive, powerful governments, and see more and more of what Orwell was
writing about in
1984 coming true.

Which is the reason this "USA Patriot Act II" bothers me so much.  I have
no use for
any bill, proposed bill, etc. that sacrifices "essential liberties for a
little security."

TTYL,

Phillip Rhodes
Application Designer
Voice Data Solutions
919-571-4300 x225
prhodes at vdsinc.com

Those who are willing to sacrifice essential liberties for a little order,
will lose both and deserve neither. - Benjamin Franklin

This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it.
Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can
exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their
revolutionary right to overthrow it.  - Abraham Lincoln

No citizen shall be denied the right to bear arms, if as a last resort, to
protect themselves from tyranny in Government. - Thomas Jefferson