[TriLUG] Relocating Boot Partition - Slightly Munged

Scott Chilcote scottchilcote at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 11 13:23:57 EST 2003

Hi Folks,

I recently tried to set up a dual-boot system where Linux was completely
installed on SCSI drives, and Windows was relegated to the system's IDE
drive.  Unfortunately, grub didn't work properly in this configuration.
  I'd get through the 1st stage of bootloading and the boot would hang.
  I had to use a floppy to boot until I could make a boot partition for
Linux on the system's IDE drive.

After a while I made a boot partition on the IDE drive and copied
everything from the previous (SCSI) boot partition there.  I moved /boot
to this location in /etc/fstab, did another grub-install, and this
seemed to solve the problem.

Almost.  The system boots and runs fine, but for some reason, it refuses
to shut down properly.  When I do a halt or reboot, it gets as far as
stopping all of the processes and then hangs.  None of the partitions
are unmounted, and the remainder of the shutdown sequence is suspended.
  The kernel no longer responds, so it stays in this state until the
power is cycled.

The system is still usable, but since the partitions are ext3 it has to
restore from the journals every time I boot.  Very messy.

Is there a smarter way to make a new boot partition without having to go
through the installation process?

Thanks,

Scott C.