[TriLUG] kickstart questions

Jeremy Katz katzj at linuxpower.org
Sun Feb 16 14:20:37 EST 2003

On Sat, 2003-02-15 at 23:49, Jason Tower wrote:
> i have a motherboard (MSI-6368) with onboard trident blade video.  if i try to
> install rh72 via nfs, it works beautifully.  if i try to install by booting
> the CD the installer fails to start X.  in both cases the video is detected
> properly, but the nfs method works while the CD method fails (it tries
> several times to start X using different servers before giving up and
> switching to text).  not a show-stopper but curious nonetheless.

You can look at /tmp/XFree86.log in the installer to see why it didn't
start.  It is odd, though since the second stage between the two is
exactly the same.

> and yes, kickstart is way cool (especially in conjunction with nfs), if poorly
> documented.  the redhat docs don't always jive with their sample config which
> doesn't match up exactly with my redhat press sysadmin book which is out of
> sync with several examples i've seen on the web which only sort of match my
> actual working ks.cfg.  but when it works it kicks big ol' booty.

If you find cases where the docs don't match up with what works, please
file them in bugzilla -- I try to catch inaccuracies, but that doesn't
always mean we catch everything.   Note that you should really be sure
that the version of the customization guide you're looking at matches
the version of Red Hat Linux you're trying to install -- kickstart is
slowly morphing so the docs tend to get slightly tweaked each release
accordingly.  I try to keep everything nice and backwards compatible,
but that doesn't necessarily mean I'm bug-compatible :)

Cheers,

Jeremy