[TriLUG] version control recommend

Tom Bryan tbryan at python.net
Sat Feb 22 01:44:54 EST 2003

On Saturday 22 February 2003 09:46 am, Morris Walton wrote:

> I do a little bit of personal development & was thinking about checking
> out getting some version control other than "cp foo.c foo.c.1".  CVS
> seems to be used by most of the linux development community....  I don't
> need anything too complex.  I was curious what everybody else uses.

For your purposes, I would recommend CVS.  It is trivial to to set it up.
There are many decent GUIs, such as KDE's cervisia, and a lot of online
documentation.  It is almost certainly already installed on your system.

At work, we use Perforce.  It works somewhat like CVS from the command line,
but it has a different model where the server tracks most of the information
about client state (no CVS metadata directories on the client, yay!).  It
also has some really nice features when working with multiple developers,
especially when you're developing real products and will need to support
multiple branches and merge code between them.

Perforce is commercial and closed source, but
"You may use software downloaded from Perforce for any purpose you want and
for as long as you like. The Perforce Server supports only two users and two
client workspaces unless used with a Perforce License."
AND
"Organizations developing software that is licensed or otherwise distributed
exclusively under an Open Source license may be eligible to obtain Perforce
licenses gratis. This includes upgrades but not support."

I just thought that I'd mention www.perforce.com while we were on the topic,
but for your purposes, I'd recommend CVS.

---Tom