[TriLUG] Wireless Access Point recommendations?

Lisa Lorenzin lorenzin at 1000plus.com
Sat Feb 22 12:28:48 EST 2003

> Who makes a good & inexpensive WAP?  I like the Cisco/Aironet 350 that
> I've setup in the past but that won't qualify as inexpensive.

we've set up both sets of parents with the linksys firewall/router/wap
combo boxes.  they seem to work quite well, and you can usually find a
really nice sale or rebate on them.

> I saw an Orinco AP on sale somewhere for about $110?  What would the
> group recommend?  I think I'd like to go 802.11b, the 802.11g
> performance doesn't sound really neccessary for me.  802.11a would be
> nice but 11b deployments are more common for me to use a 11b card other
> places like work.

generally, i'd recommend avoiding 802.11g like the plague for at least 6
months. :)  there isn't a standard yet, so vendors are releasing
proprietary implementations, with no guarantee of interoperability, which
will probably have to be retrofitted when the standard does get released.
802.11b is still the way to go at home, especially if you're not worried
about the throughput.  (i find it to be perfectly adequate for anything
except large downloads.)  the only place i'm seeing 802.11a is new
enterprise deployments (ie, places that didn't start off with 802.11b).

							lisa

--
lisa lorenzin  |  lorenzin at 1000plus.com  |  http://www.1000plus.com/lisa/
of what avail is an open eye if the heart is blind? - solomon ibn gavirol