[TriLUG] Suspicious behavior: have I been hacked?

Andrew Perrin clists at perrin.socsci.unc.edu
Sun Feb 23 21:48:16 EST 2003

I came upstairs after a weekend mostly away from my computer to find it in
a nearly-hung state. Load (by top) was >10, and there were numerous
/USR/SBIN/CRON entries which, from the logs, look like they were trying to
run exim sessions:

Feb 23 07:38:01 joehill /USR/SBIN/CRON[13821]: (mail) CMD (  if [ -x
/usr/sbin/exim -a -f /etc/exim/exim.conf ]; then /usr/sbin/exim -q ; fi)
Feb 23 07:53:01 joehill /USR/SBIN/CRON[13829]: (mail) CMD (  if [ -x
/usr/sbin/exim -a -f /etc/exim/exim.conf ]; then /usr/sbin/exim -q ; fi)

(etc., etc.)

The other thing in the ps listing were several (three I think) instances
of:

modprobe -s -k -- net-pf-10

I do not have such a module, either loaded or available on the disk.

What's particularly worrisome is that this machine is behind another
machine running NAT, so it has only a private (192.168.0.x) address. The
NAT machine has nothing particularly suspicious about it. last commands on
both machine show only me logging in.

I would be a happier person if someone could provide a non-suspicious
explanation for this.

Thanks.

clists at perrin.socsci.unc.edu * andrew_perrin (at) unc.edu