[TriLUG] Install-fest

Ben Pitzer uncleben at mindspring.com
Wed Feb 26 23:55:31 EST 2003

Jay,

Your issues with upgrading an OS version are legitimate, however I've found
that the one exception to this rule is with Debian.  Debian's apt-get
dist-upgrade command upgrades you to the newer version of the distro (or
regresses you, if that's what you want to do) remarkably cleanly.  I've
upgraded several boxes using this method, and have yet to be disappointed.
Plus, the 'apt-get update' and 'apt-get upgrade' commands keep you up to
date with an unrivaled ease.  Honestly, I find it easier to keep my Windows
boxen up to date using Windows Update than I ever did when using Red Hat.
Then again, I never used up2date or RHN, so I'm behind the times there.
Nonetheless, I've only once had a problem with using apt to keep my Debian
boxen up to date.  I highly recommend it, and I will be coming to the
Installfest armed with Debian x86 and Sparc install CDs.

Regards,
Ben Pitzer

Systems Administrator                   Tel:  919-287-5013
Durham RDC                              Cell: 919-368-2824
Road Runner                             Email: bpitzer at southeast.rr.com
                                        AIM: bpitzerRR