Debian plug (was Re: [TriLUG] Install-fest)

Mike M linux-support at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 27 10:33:33 EST 2003

On Wednesday 26 February 2003 23:55, Ben Pitzer wrote:

> Your issues with upgrading an OS version are legitimate, however I've found
> that the one exception to this rule is with Debian.  Debian's apt-get
> dist-upgrade command upgrades you to the newer version of the distro (or
> regresses you, if that's what you want to do) remarkably cleanly.  I've
> upgraded several boxes using this method, and have yet to be disappointed.
> Plus, the 'apt-get update' and 'apt-get upgrade' commands keep you up to
> date with an unrivaled ease.

For the record, I am finding what Ben writes above to be true.  Another
benefit is that I don't spend time and bandwidth downloading tons of stuff I
don't want.  Debian has lots of users that pay per minute for Internet
connection so this influences its evolution.

With Debian you are required to know more about what you're installing. But
with apt-get it is so easy to install and remove stuff that you can be more
adventurous.  I've been installing DocBook tools lately and learning lots in
the process.

I am not knocking RPM, RHN and up2date, but they have not captured my
attention in the same way the Debian equivalents have.
--
Mike M.