[TriLUG] Debian vs Mandrake vs Redhat vs . . .

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Tue Mar 11 08:32:41 EST 2003

On Mon, 2003-03-10 at 20:14, Chris Hedemark wrote:

> On Monday, March 10, 2003, at 06:44 PM, Jon Carnes wrote:
>
> > OpenBSD is a personal favorite and also comes with IPSec built in, plus
> > it is extremely secure.
>
> OpenBSD is an excellent non-Linux free operating system for a lot of
> applications, but I didn't recommend it because of some of the
> requirements listed.  I think you'll agree, Jon, that OpenBSD is not as
> hands-free in terms of updating software.  They provide no binary
> patches, and no sophisticated package management & retrieval system
> like Debian, Mandrake or Red Hat.  The support community there is also
> far less tolerant of people who don't fully investigate solving a
> problem on their own, whereas the Linux community (for better or worse)
> tends to tolerate ill researched questions more.

There is the ports system for automating installs... though I don't use
it <he says lamely>.  I guess it's been so long ago since I was a newbie
that my perspective is skewed.

Chris is right.  OpenBSD is not easy for a newbie to use.  Though I find
it to be easy to install and manage, but then I like using the original
source files to do my installs.

Once you learn your way around OpenBSD, it is as quick and easy to
maintain as any Linux distribution and it is very robust and secure.

The greatest feature (IMHO) is the ease with which you can setup VPN's
in OpenBSD.  You basically run a script and fill in a two values.

Take care - Jon Carnes