[TriLUG] OT: Designing a computer lab layout

John Warf jwarf at chatham.k12.nc.us
Thu Mar 13 08:25:45 EST 2003

Be real sure that you have plenty of outlets and put them on separate
circuits.  I might would even go GFI outlets in some spots just to protect
some of your equipment unless you use GFI rated power strips.  Someone
mentioned wireless.  I would go wireless in the room but I would also have
some standard 100Mb outlets just for the fact that in graphics they can get
really big and moving them across a wireless network can hurt.  I like to
build my computer desk that would house the mounted cpu's, sometimes you
save money sometimes not.  If you have tables in the middle of the room for
laptops I would go with regular 6ft or even 4ft tables.  If this will be
like a teaching facility you want to have a good lighting (bright in my
opinion) but if it will be for just working a softer lighting with
possibilities of dimming.

John