[TriLUG] [OT] Inexpensive Wi-Fi Card Locally?

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Mon Mar 17 12:28:48 EST 2003

On Mon, 2003-03-17 at 12:21, bp wrote:
> I realize this may be somewhat off-topic and for that I apologize in
> advance.
>
> Now that I've procrastinated a sufficent amount of time, I'm looking to
> buy a 802.11b PCMCIA card and would like to spend as little as possible
> on one.  It needs to work on my dual boot Red Hat 8 & Win2k system.
> Anyone have a place & card to recommend? BB, CC, Stay Online?  I need to
> purchase this before I leave on a business trip later this week.

I've had success with the Linksys WPC11.  It's inexpensive (mine was $40
with rebate at CompUSA) and should work just fine in both OS's.  I did
have to add the manufacturer ID to a config file for it to be recognized
in RHL 8, but that was minor.  For better performance you can switch to
the wlan-ng drivers but the orinoco_cs driver works fine for me.

(Let me know if you need the exact information on getting this working
in RHL 8; it's pretty easy.)

On a related note, anyone know if the "SMC 2662W Wireless 802.11b USB
Network Card" available from Intrex works in Linux?  These USB cards are
cheaper than the PCMCIA cards and handy because they can be used on
desktops too, but what's the Linux support for USB network stuff like?

--Jeremy

--
| Jeremy Portzer       jeremyp at pobox.com       trilug.org/~jeremy     |