[TriLUG] Re: Installing rpm with possibility of backout

Mike Shaw mdshaw89 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 25 10:33:28 EST 2003

James Manning <jmm at sublogic.com> writes:

>> I need to be able to install rpm's with the
>> possibility of backing them out.  Is this what the
>> "repackage" option is for?  Example:
>
>rpm's can be "backed out" just by erasing them with:
>"rpm -e foo" or
>"rpm -e foo-2.0".
>
>If you mean "revert to an older version, just do your
>usual -Uvh
>(upgrade, note NOT the lower-case u) and include
>--oldpackage
>
>It's not 100% clear what you're trying to do, so
>apologies if I'm
>misinterpreting.

Yes, this sounds like what I need to do.  "revert" is
probably a better word.

It looks like if I want I "full" RPM backout plan I
need to:

1) list all currently installed packages
2) download list from (1) to archive area
3) perform up2date -d
4) rpm -Uvh --test downloaded_rpm's
   a) If no problems then rpm -Uvh downloaded_rpm's
   b) else resolve conflicts
5) If problems after install rpm -Uvh --oldpackage
oldrpm

All of this besides a full backup beforehand.  If you
are wondering why the backout plan - 2 words -
government contractor.

Thanks,

Mike

=====