[TriLUG] wireless bridge?

Andrew Perrin clists at perrin.socsci.unc.edu
Thu Mar 27 12:40:18 EST 2003

Interesting anecdote: in my home (actually two of them - my old house and
my new one) I've had very good luck with 802.11b stuff -- namely, a belkin
WAP, belkin PCMCIA card, and LinkSys PCI card. In both cases, the WAP
is/was located on the third floor, and I'm able to work reliably from the
laptop anywhere in the house (including the first floor) and outside as
well.  "Work" includes not just web browsing but ssh and even AFS
sessions, and the laptop works flawlessly in debian and in Win98 (or, er,
as flawlessly as Win98 works...).

With that experience under my arm, I proposed to network my in-laws' house
in Carrboro with a similar setup, except 2 floors instead of 3.  They have
no laptop, but wanted to share a cable modem connection among three
desktops, two of which are a floor removed from the third, which is wired
to the cable modem.  So I bought an SMC NAT/WAP device and two LinkSys PCI
wireless cards. Terrible outcome! One of the desktops never gets a signal.
The other desktop gets an "excellent" signal about 3/4 of the time, the
rest of the time gets no signal at all.  It's all been very frustrating.
They live in a fairly dense development, and I suspect a 2.4Ghz phone user
in a nearby house, but have no other real ideas. Trying to get them to
revert to a wired setup now....

ap

clists at perrin.socsci.unc.edu * andrew_perrin (at) unc.edu