[TriLUG] Fixed or dynamic IP addresses? Dual IP addresses on same port?

Turnpike Man turnpike420 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 28 09:53:43 EST 2003

--- "Scott G. Hall" <ScottGHall at BellSouth.Net> wrote:
> Now my dilemma: I want to startup FTP and HTTP servers on my private LAN,
> as well as allow for the r* utilities (rlogin, rcp, etc) and NFS shares.
> Do I still want to use dynamic IP addressing?  Or do I need to switch over
> to only static addressing?

My personal experience is to setup static IP for those FTP, HTTP and similar
machines.  I setup a DNS zone, forward and reverse, and included each machine
in the internal network.  I also have my home workstation as static b/c I VNC
to it regularly.  I do use DHCP for my laptop and in case a buddy comes over
and wants to plug in (or be wireless).  You could use the cable/dsl router's
DHCP and configure for your network, but I chose to use Linux's DHCP server.

As for the multiple IP on same ethernet card... I kinda sorta started covering
that in an iptables doc that I never finished writing... but I believe it is
the same principle applied to eth0 and should help get you started.

http://www.turnpike420.net/linux/iptables.php

laters,
David M.

~~ "Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own." ~~ Princess Diana