[TriLUG] Fixed or dynamic IP addresses? Dual IP addresses on same port?

Corey Mutter mutterc at nc.rr.com
Fri Mar 28 13:16:20 EST 2003

On Fri, Mar 28, 2003 at 07:54:46AM -0500, Scott G. Hall wrote:
> I also have a router/switch acting as an Internet gateway, firewall, and
> DHCP server.  Currently all of the machines are configured to dynamically
> get their IP addresses from the DHCP server on the router/switch.
>
> Now my dilemma: I want to startup FTP and HTTP servers on my private LAN,
> as well as allow for the r* utilities (rlogin, rcp, etc) and NFS shares.
> Do I still want to use dynamic IP addressing?  Or do I need to switch over
> to only static addressing?

You can do both... most DHCP servers will allow you to configure things so
that a particular machine (as measured by Ethernet MAC address) always gets
the same address.

If your router/switch doesn't have that kind of config option, and you
deploy a dhcpd on a Linux-like machine instead, you can just add something
like the following to dhcpd.conf:

--- cut here
# Laptop docking station
host dock {