[TriLUG] Re: moving from RH 8 to Mandrake 9.1

Scott G. Hall ScottGHall at BellSouth.Net
Sat Mar 29 16:15:22 EST 2003

Daniel Monjar <daniel.monjar at na.biomerieux.com> wrote:

> Are there any issues with using a file system created under RH 8 with
> a Mandrake 9.1 system?  I'm considering moving to 9.1 but don't really
> want to reformat my /home partition... Or would it be better to format
> the whole thing and restore /home from tape?

It depends on what filesystem type(s) you picked during install.  I just
compared my two machines, RH 8.0 and MDK 9.1, and it seems that the default
type on both machines is ext3, and that most of all of the settings are the
same (given similar package install answers during custom installation).
This suggests that MDK will pickup most of your administrative settings as
well, probably keeping those that are not default for MDK.  Even if you
picked another filesystem type for your /home, both seem to have the same
list of filesystem types available.  And from what I can tell, both need
about the same size /, /var, /usr and /opt filesystem sizes, depending on
what all you install (in fact, RH seems to desire a little more space,
probably due to their custom desktop stuff).  And I'll say that given the
same hardware, the video seems better in MDK.

I seem to remember a document on MDK's site that mentions some differences
between them and other distributions, and about migrating to MDK from them.
However, I also seem to remember that it was to MDK 9.0, and from a couple
of older distros, like RH 7.3.

Because of better initial development support (more language versions, more
libraries, more debugging tools), I tend to like MDK better than RH.  But
RH is running some Java and Star Office stuff better than MDK.  Your mileage
may vary.

--
Scott G. Hall,
Raleigh, NC, USA