[TriLUG] Good budget priced inkjet for Linux?

Robert Floyd r.floyd3 at verizon.net
Fri Apr 11 16:52:31 EDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-04-11 at 18:23, Lee Fickenscher wrote:
> Robert,
> I generally wouldn't recommend a sub-$100 printer to my worst enemy as
> "you get what you pay for" is never more true than it is for printers...

I understand the price/quality considerations. However, given how we use
printers at home and how much print cartridges cost, the sub-$100
strategy is a good one for us. My wife is very averse to replacing
hardware that's not broken, even old, old hardware (our main computer is
a Gateway PIII-350). My approach with her for upgrading the printer is,
"We can replace the printer for the price of a set of cartridges."

> I would also usually recommend HPs as I have had great luck with them
> under linux.

The problem I'm having may be more related to my notebook setup. I run
Linux on a notebook and connect to the Gateway via Wi-Fi. While I can
connect to shares on that box, I cannot get SuSe to print to the
printer. When I run YaSt, it sees the remote printer, but, when I try to
print test pages, nothing happens at all...no error messages and no
output. And I am an extreme Samba newbie, especially when it comes to
printing.

Thanks for you advice and recommendations.

Robert Floyd
Durham, NC