[TriLUG] Cheap Dell Server

Ken Mink kmtrilug at nc.rr.com
Wed Apr 23 10:53:31 EDT 2003

You do it by putting together a good presentation and making the pitch
to the right people. And by not caving when you meet resistance.

In '96 I was working as UNIX admin at a certain cow spotted PC
manufacturer. I was able to convince my bosses to let me deploy the
internal DNS servers on Linux machines. Gateway at the time, while
large, still functioned like a small company. The little people could
still talk to the bigwigs and get things done. That kind of environment
didn't last.

I was also able to get them to stop buying HP Xstations and use Linux
machines that xdm'd to the servers. Linux was an easy sell there as PC
hardware was easy to come by.

I heard through the grapevine that a few years after I left, MS came
down on them for using non-MS servers. Since lisencing fee directly
affect the bottom line, they gave in and migrated. All that is just
rumour, I could be wrong. The grapevine is not always accurate.

Ken

--
Ken Mink <kmtrilug at nc.rr.com>