[TriLUG] NFS/NIS/Automount/BIND

Stephen P. Schaefer sschaefer at acm.org
Wed Apr 23 23:01:50 EDT 2003

I also use NFS, for the same reason.  But I don't delude myself that
it's secure.  Now, Sun offers kerberos authentication for NFS, and that
would be OK.  But without that (which is unavailable for Linux) anyone
with physical access to the subnet can see whatever they want by
spoofing packets.

Suppose you've got a nice, tight workstation that only allows ssh
logins, but uses an NFS home directory.  So: I give my laptop the MAC
address and IP address of the NFS server.  I initiate an ssh connection
to your workstation.  sshd looks for $HOME/.ssh/authorized_keys, which
I, as the spoofing NFS server happily supply to match the id_dsa private
key I'm using for your account.  You're owned.  It doesn't have to work
the first time or most of the time.  It just has to work once.

Oh, but physical access to the subnet is so difficult to get! you
respond.  I see.  You scan your network for wireless access points
constantly, don't you?  No?  Tra la la.

     - Stephen