[TriLUG] OT - trolling for sony picturebook info

Gregory S. Hopper ghopper at netanium.com
Tue Apr 29 17:04:56 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-04-29 at 16:28, gregbrown at mindspring.com wrote:
> Hey all.  Does anyone on the list use a Sony Picturebook with a Linux distro loaded?  I know there are several models of picturebooks and I'm thinking about one of the smaller one with the Transmeta processor.  Rumor had it that the micro-picturebooks are being discontinued?  Is there any truth to this?
>
> What I'm really interested in is are the picturebooks worth the money?  Do they run reasonably quickly or are they slow?
>
> I'm going to need *nix laptop for a project and it has to be portable.  My iBook is a good fit - but a tad big to lug around all the time, everywhere I go.  Installing a Linux disrto on my PDA is kind of out of the question due to a lack of a keyboard and very limited processing power.  I'm looking for something between these two hence my query.
>
> If there is a better fit for a very small, light, and portable laptop other than a Sony Picturebook I'm all ears for any suggestions.
>
> Greg

If you're after something brand new, there is a subnote from eNote that
I saw at the desktop linux summit a few months ago that was very nice.
12" XGA screen, 256M, 20G, under 3 lbs.

It was running Lindows :-/ and you can buy it that way from idot.com for
$799.
http://www.idot.com/TheStore/Desktop/787Spec.asp?Product.id=787&Cate.id=2

Or, if you want it without Lindows, you can save $10 at gearzoo.com
http://www.gearzoo.com/product_info.php?products_id=32. They'll also
sell it to you with XP for an additional $90.

Only possible problem with Linux (that I know of) is the modem.

Another Greg