[TriLUG] software-addressable power switches?

Chris Merrill cmerrill at nc.rr.com
Fri May 2 10:07:17 EDT 2003

Andrew Perrin wrote:
> Is there a device, reasonably cheap and addressable in linux, that will
> let me turn a plug on and off? I'm finding that my cable modem often
> (e.g., every 2-3 days) loses its signal, but a power cycle brings it right
> back.  I'd like to script this so when the computer can't ping out it
> tries to power cycle the modem. But that would require some sort of device
> that lets my computer tell a plug to turn off, wait 60 seconds, and turn
> back on again. If such a device exists, I'm sure some TriLUGger will know
> of it!

There are a number of devices using the X-10 standard that can be controlled
from a PC...I don't have any personal experience with them - except that I was
researching them for a similar reason a few years ago.  I would google "x-10 linux"
and see what comes up.  This system allows control of outlets throughout a house,
so it may be overkill for what you need...but should do the trick.  The
solutions that I explored in the past interfaced through a serial port...though
USB may be a possibility, now.

--
Chris Merrill
cmerrill at nc.rr.com