[TriLUG] Updated Nominee List for TriLUG Steering Committee

Roy Vestal rvestal at trilug.org
Thu May 8 09:34:20 EDT 2003

Welp, I guess since the steering committee mentioned me, I should say a
little something.

I've been using Linux for about 3 1/2 years now. My first install was at
work when a "superior" came to me and said "Would you like to learn Linux?".
To that point I had never heard of it. But not wanting to back down from a
challenge, I said "Sure." He gave me a Red Hat Linux 5.1 CD and said, "Use
this and build me a Linux Cluster out of these 4 machines for a development
project". It took me almost a month to install it, due to having to use
"spare" time at work. Once I had it, it took me 2 months to build my
cluster. I told my "superior" and he introduced me to TriLUG AFTER I had
built this thing. (FYI...they decided not to do the project afterwards, but
I at least had 4 servers to play with!)

After that, he asked me to help him figure out how to integrate Linux and
Solaris into our little world. I started playing with SAMBA (ahhh, the days
of 1.x.x) and this forced me to learn Linux. After this, we started looking
at ways to integrate Linux into our environment.

I didn't check TriLUG out for another year. Once I did I was hooked. It was
easier than searching for docs!  So I've been involved ever since.

In the past some have mentioned that I "give" the space in Dreyfus to
TriLUG. I prefer to tell my side. When Jim Wright was planning his
retirement, he asked if I would be willing to take over the sponsorship of
TriLUG since he was leaving. I thought it would be a crime if TriLUG lost
the space, so I agreed and took over the sponsorship. RTI is providing the
space, not me. However, as sponsor I have to be present, or my backup has to
be there, so it gives me a reason to be at every meeting!

My main focus in Linux is learning security and networking AND so far my
favorite part is getting Linux of ANY flavor to run on notebooks, especially
older hardware since it's so cheap.  I've sucessfully installed and used Red
Hat Linux, Mandrake-Linux, Slackware, ArmedLinux, DragonLinux, Gentoo, and
even Sun Solaris on Intel based laptops. Next, it's off to build my own
distro...

So in conclusion, you're not going to get rid of me easily, and I will work
with TriLUG reguardless if I am asked to be a member of the steering
committee. If TriLUG as a group decides to ask, I will be honored and work
as diligent as possible to make the group the best it can be. It's darn
close now because of the great contributions of those on the current and
past steering committees (Thanks Kevin, Jon, and Chris!).

Just my $0.02.  :)