[TriLUG] Command line mp3 ripper

Turnpike Man turnpike420 at yahoo.com
Thu May 8 09:48:34 EDT 2003

I'm quite familiar with the SHN format, been an etree.org user for years.  But
unless you have mountains of gigabytes, you are not going to want to store your
audio this way.  SHN and now FLAC are both popular formats for the
proliferation of live music, such as Grateful Dead, Phish, Dave Matthews and
any other band that allows live recording.  These 2 formats are lossless WAV
compression, SHN supports 16bit stereo, while the new FLAC I understand
supports 16bit and 24bit audio, the newer digital standards?  Both SHN and FLAC
save you roughly 50% in size, give or take.  At any rate, you would download a
live show from someone in those formats, revert back to WAV and you have the
same identical md5 WAV that you started with, thus lossless compression.  MP3
and OGG are lossy compression, thus the much smaller file size, generally 90%
savings on 128bit MP3, I have no idea for OGG, but these compressions are
lossy, and though you can return them to WAV, they will only be of the same
quality they were as an MP3 or OGG file, but will be the size of a WAV.

I know there is support for SHN in Linux and should be for FLAC.  If you want
more information on these (if you have a love of live jamband music), join the
etree.org community or discuss offline with me or Jim I suppose.  Jim, I hope I
got all my info correct.  Wanted to make sure people understood how different
SHN is from MP3.  I'm guessing Greg is looking for portability in his music
library, thus MP3 and OGG.

thanks,
David M.