[TriLUG] Command line mp3 ripper

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Thu May 8 10:27:02 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-05-08 at 09:48, Turnpike Man wrote:
> I'm quite familiar with the SHN format, been an etree.org user for years.  But
> unless you have mountains of gigabytes, you are not going to want to store your
> audio this way.  SHN and now FLAC are both popular formats for the
> proliferation of live music, such as Grateful Dead, Phish, Dave Matthews and
> any other band that allows live recording.  These 2 formats are lossless WAV
> compression, SHN supports 16bit stereo, while the new FLAC I understand
> supports 16bit and 24bit audio, the newer digital standards?  Both SHN and FLAC
> save you roughly 50% in size, give or take.  At any rate, you would download a
> live show from someone in those formats, revert back to WAV and you have the
> same identical md5 WAV that you started with, thus lossless compression.

That's cool -- thanks for the explanation.  Wouldn't it be simpler on a
Linux system to compress the WAV file with bzip2 or gzip, however?  Or
because these formats are tuned towards audio, they work better than the
standard zip formats?  (I've heard that gzip is best on text, for
example.)

--Jeremy
--
| Jeremy Portzer       jeremyp at pobox.com       trilug.org/~jeremy     |