[TriLUG] Re: [OT] propane BBQs by my Window

gregbrown at mindspring.com gregbrown at mindspring.com
Fri May 9 15:00:45 EDT 2003

Well, then, maybe one question should be this: Should we start up a secondary list where it is okay to post Linux/BSD/OS X/Windows questions and keep triLUG (the primary list) pure linux?

Here is an argument why I think the collective Windows and Linux brainpower on the Lug list is great.  The company I work for requires me to use W2k.  I don't like it, but that is the case.  People on this list helped me to figure out how, using SSH and squid on the Linux side, and Putty on the W2K side how I could tunnel my web queries through my work network to home thereby allowing me to bypass the company firewall.  This has been a HUGE asset for me (in fact, this is how I'm trying this e-mail - web based mail is blocked at work) and I have the TriLUGGERs to thank for helping me figure this out.  If the triLUG list goes moderated then I would not have been able to ever ask the question about tunneling from my Win2K box to my home Linux server.

I guess what I'm saying is while this IS a Linux list I'd also like to be able to ask the occasional interoperability question - or BSD or Mac OS X question - without worrying about what rms would think about it.

Greg