[TriLUG] [OT] propane BBQs by my Window

Roy Vestal rvestal at trilug.org
Fri May 9 22:40:38 EDT 2003

If you decide to go the VNC route, please use either TightVNC or RealVNC. The generic VNC 3.3.3 for Winders has quite a few holes. These two seem to make a little better one.

Now to get to his question, we all know why to use SSH, so I understand why you would want to do it. If you need to check it, start at the beginning, www.openssh.org. Here some other links you may want to check out:

google: ssh server windows

openSSH
http://www.networksimplicity.com/openssh/
http://lexa.mckenna.edu/sshwindows/

closed source/pay-for SSH
http://www.hallogram.com/secureshell/
http://www.devguy.com/fp/scp/

HTH

On 09 May 2003 12:08:59 -0400
Jeremy Portzer <jeremyp at pobox.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2003-05-09 at 11:53, Chris Bullock wrote:
> > Actually, I think it indirectly has a small base on Linux, I am
> > investigating the same topic.  I guess the question is about OpenSSH
> > which could be considered a linux topic, but when put the word Windows
> > in the same line all of a sudden it becomes bad.  I can't speak for
> > Jason, but I would like an answer to this.  Even though the group is
> > predominately (sp) linux users I am sure a fair share own Windows
> > boxes.  I would like to connect from a Linux box (at home) to a Windows
> > box (at work) securely, which this is where SSH comes in.  So I feel
> > that half of my question is Linux based and if I were to ask the same
> > question I would have a Linux part of it.
> > --chris
> >

> Another alternative is VNC, which has good Linux support as a client and
> a server.  There are several versions available; TightVNC is said to
> work even over modem connections.  I think it would be more viable to
> run a VNC server on Windows compared to SSH, since many things in
> Windows can't be controlled without the GUI.
>
> --Jeremy
>
> --
> | Jeremy Portzer       jeremyp at pobox.com       trilug.org/~jeremy     |
> | GPG Fingerprint: 712D 77C7 AB2D 2130 989F  E135 6F9F F7BC CC1A 7B92 |

Roy Vestal
rvestal at trilug.org
http://www.trilug.org/~rvestal

The box said "Install Windows 2000 or better", so I installed LINUX!