[TriLUG] linux apps on desktop that support *.mdb, *.vsd, *.dwg and *.mpp

Lee Fickenscher elfick at trilug.org
Wed May 14 10:56:19 EDT 2003

On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 10:42:23AM -0400, Chris Bullock wrote:
> Don't get me wrong I think that OpenOffice and kivio are great but for a
> standard I do not foresee it entering the corporate industry as long as
> other people are still using MS Office.

Unfortunately, the problem is that you _can't_ have a "standard" word
processor. Word processor files, whether it is .doc or .swx shouldn't be
used for document exchange. They should really only be used by the end
user of the information for pretty printing (though whether they should
be used even then is questionable). Though I have to agree there is a
de-facto "standard" thing going on. I personally think that there is too
much reliance on word processors and spread sheets. Most of the time I
see these used (in the business world), the users would be much better
served by a text processing system or a database, or both. Unfortunately
I'm at a loss as to how to explain this to non-techs without getting the
dumb deer-in-the-headlights look... Either that or I'm just crazy...
which is also very likely...

-Lee

--
Microsoft: for whom the bell tolls...