[TriLUG] linux apps on desktop that support *.mdb, *.vsd, *.dwg and *.mpp

Michael Thompson thompson at easternrad.com
Wed May 14 12:05:48 EDT 2003

> No. If you get a file that is too heavily formatted - don't waste your
> time with it. Send it back to the creator and tell them to put it in a
> standard format that can be shared (rtf is a good example).

In most of the places I've worked or consulted for, Word was 'standard'
format that could be shared.  My 'non-standard' software would be the
oddity, so why should everyone change to accommodate me?  Especially
when thats what many have learned in college.

Unfortunately for me, in the past *I* was the one who had to accommodate
everyone else, which is probably the case w/many IT people out there.

Most people just don't care. They just want to get their jobs done
efficiently (the way they know how) and go home.  (and have pretty
documents)  :)  I can actually relate to this, as I will be as stubborn
about my Macromedia apps (Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Flash) until something
comparable (that is reliable) is available for Linux.

> Yes, you'll hear them whine about the loss of several hours spent making
> their text look so pretty... but they'll learn.

They would argue that they lost several hours making their text look so
'professional'...

Doesn't make it right, but its the reality.

Just a view from my cubicle.

--mike