[TriLUG] linux apps on desktop that support *.mdb, *.vsd, *.dwg and *.mpp

Chris Hedemark chrish at trilug.org
Wed May 14 12:15:10 EDT 2003

On Wednesday, May 14, 2003, at 12:05 PM, Michael Thompson wrote:

> In most of the places I've worked or consulted for, Word was 'standard'
> format that could be shared.  My 'non-standard' software would be the
> oddity, so why should everyone change to accommodate me?

RTF is not non-standard.  Word will use it happily, as will many other
apps.  I've had luck getting Windoze users to export to RTF.

Plain text works too and everyone can handle it.

> Most people just don't care. They just want to get their jobs done
> efficiently (the way they know how) and go home.  (and have pretty
> documents)  :)  I can actually relate to this, as I will be as stubborn
> about my Macromedia apps (Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Flash) until
> something
> comparable (that is reliable) is available for Linux.

If Microsoft put piracy controls on MS Word, this "standard" would dry
up quickly.  They are willing to tolerate piracy to ensure that their
document format stays "standard".  If someone had to spend $300 solely
to read an email attachment from grandma, they would quickly start
doing some of the things that have been suggested in this thread.

> They would argue that they lost several hours making their text look so
> 'professional'...

It's a futile argument.  All time is lost, and none can be gained.  You
can use it effectively as it passes by, or you can waste the
opportunity.