[TriLUG] change passwd on remote mail server?

Mark Kempster mark at kempster.org
Wed May 14 12:05:22 EDT 2003

The situation at hand:

(1) box 1: debian stable running UW imap and postfix.
   Mail to me lives here; mail to others gets bounced.
   I'm the only one (at present) with a local account.

(2) box 2: debian testing (with some packages from unstable)
   running squirrelmail / apache 1.3 on port 8080.
   apache2 (and subversion, dav, etc.) running on port 80.

(3) both machines are behind a linksys, which forwards
   port 25 to the mail machine (143/993 not open to the
   world yet); other ports (80, 23, etc.) forwarded to
   the web machine.

The problem:
Is there a way to let users manage their own passwords on
the mail machine without giving them ssh access to it?
Ideally I'd like to do this via squirrelmail, or some
other mechanism on the (remote) web server.

There are a handful of squirrelmail password plugins, but
they seem to all want the web and mail server on the same
machine (which isn't out of the realm of possibility; I'm
just hoping to not have to babysit another apache instance).

Are there web-based non-mail-related packages to do this?
Should I be looking to swap IMAP packages? I'm not wed
to UW, but Cyrus seems to the the only other package.
Is it any better?

Google isn't helping much. I assume there's a TFM
out there that I should R, but I haven't found it yet.
Any pointers are appreciated.

TIA
- mark