[TriLUG] Database software

Nathan Conrad conrad at bungled.net
Thu May 15 01:32:06 EDT 2003

Hi,

I have done a few quick searches for nice GUIs to manipulate tha data
in databases and found almost nothing for Linux. OpenOffice has an
acceptable database editor, but it is not great and OpenOffice is too
huge (personal bias). I really like the Macintosh program
FileMaker Pro. It's main features are:

* Database is stored in a single file and there is no need to run a
database server such as PostgreSQL, Oracle, or MySQL. Setting up these
things is a pain and adding users, setting privs, etc.... It is a
nightmare for normal people wanting to create a database. I would have
no need for file locking because the database will only be used by one
person at a time.

* A set of layouts can be defined for each schema. There are some
vector drawing capabilities and boxes that show where all of the input
fields will be drawn.

* Queries are formed using a GUI, not using some SELECT * FROM table
WHERE blah nonsense....

Having a capability to do statistics on the data would be awsome.

Is there any software out there that does this sort of thing?

I've never used MS Access. Does it do something like I have described?

If not, I might start writing such a program.

-N

--
Nathan J. Conrad                         (XXX)-929-6413
Chapel Hill, NC 27514                http://bungled.net