[TriLUG] Way for linux to access serial port on MS machine. (possibly OT)

Mike Norwood norwoodm at earthlink.net
Fri May 16 13:19:51 EDT 2003

Hello,

At the risk of frightening people again by mentioning Windows, I wonder if
anyone is aware of anyway to access a device on a serial port on a Windows
machine from Linux.  Ideally some way to create a /dev/something on the
linux machine that would map to one of the serial ports on the other
machine.  Has anyone ever needed something like this or come across a way
to do it?  I am trying to figure a way to access a signature capture pad
that is attached to the Windows machine from the Linux machine. I can access
it fine if directly attached to a Linux serial port, but there is a
Windows PC in the perfect location for the signature capture device, and I
am out of serial ports on the Linux system.  The windows and Linux machine
would be networked together.

Thanks in advance for any help

Mike Norwood