[TriLUG] RE: [internetworkers] for all you TW/AOL fans!!

Gina Norman gina.norman at nortelnetworks.com
Fri May 16 15:43:11 EDT 2003

How does that contradict?

> LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - "The Matrix Reloaded," [...] raked in a  record
> $42.5 million at domestic box offices in its first day [...]
> --
> ***however*** their claims of "Record Breaking" seem contradicted by
> this:
>> http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/Movies/05/16/film.matrix.reut/
>
> As far as records go, "Matrix Reloaded" [...] is expected to beat the best
R-rated opening, set by
> "Hannibal" in 2001 at $58 million; best opening-day gross, set last year
by
> "Spider-Man" at $39.4 million in 3,615 locations [...]

As I read it, Hannibal had best R-rated "opening" with "opening" undefined
at $58 mil., while Spidey had best opening *day* "gross" at $39.2 mil.  So,
in order to have the "Record-breaking" opening *day*, Matrix Reload's gross
would have to be >$39.2, which it was at $42.5.

What's weird to me is the R-rated greatest opening (Hannibal at $58 mil.) is
not bigger than the biggest opening day gross (spidey) at $39.2.  The only
thing I can figure is that "opening" is not the same thing as "opening-day".
(Maybe "opening" includes international openings of same film, IOW, means
every "first show" of the movie anywhere?)

any movie buffs got terminology definitions to share?

-gina