[TriLUG] SCO turns litigation on Linux users now...

Mark Shuford davemarcus at pobox.com
Fri May 16 22:17:15 EDT 2003

> > On Friday 16 May 2003 03:16 pm, bp wrote:
> >> SCO seems to be approaching all this like a broke-ass old drunk man
> >> swinging a broken bottle at "those damn kids" on his lawn.  SCO has
> >> now
> >> turned their profitability-by-litigation campaign against commercial
> >> Linux users according to this article from InfoWorld.
> >>
> >> SCO drops Linux, warns Linux users
> >> Linux users may be liable for intellectual property violations
> >> By Robert McMillan      May 15, 2003
> >> http://infoworld.com/article/03/05/15/HNscowarns_1.html

Oh yeah, SCO. That makes lots of sense.
SCO: 'You've violate our intellectual property!'
TUX: 'Where? How?'
SCO: 'I'm not going to tell you.'
Non-disclosure agreement?!!

Sounds like scare tactics to me.
TUX: 'How can I fix it if you won't tell me?'
SCO: 'We don't want you to fix it. We just want to run all your users away.'
TUX: 'Yeah, like their gonna come use _your_ product?!'

This is all plainly clear as they are only targeting commercial users -- for now...

Dang. Where's that UNIX spirit... oops, I can't use that word without licensing, can I? So did they only get into the Linux thing to have someone do the hard work for them of digging through the code... or to make it believable to a non-technical judge and/or jury that they didn't have any way of seeing the code (to look for infringements) before they got into this project.

We're SCO: Biting the hand that feeds us.

(Headline -- Shangri-La Times-Babbler: SCO CEO buys lots of SUN and Compaq stock. "Hey, if I'm gonna ruin Linux I need to invest in something they'll buy instead." An unidentified industry insider clarified  this to our reporter saying, "Yeah, they know Unix Ware is crap and this attack won't really help SCO directly. That's the reason." When asked to comment on future plans to bring suites against SUN, Compaq, and IBM, as they also produce versions of UNIX(tm)(sm)(C)(bs), Mr. CEO would not comment.)

--
Mark Shuford

Now I know what a statesman is; he's a dead politician. We need more statesmen.
					--Bob Edwards

Visit me at: http://www.krazeemark.com