[TriLUG] Re: [OT] propane BBQs by my Window

Mark Shuford davemarcus at pobox.com
Sat May 17 11:30:34 EDT 2003

On Sat, 17 May 2003 11:02:39 -0400
Chris Hedemark <chrish at trilug.org> wrote:

> On Friday, May 16, 2003, at 10:18 PM, Roy Vestal wrote:
>
> > +1 for Eastern NC BBQ. Vinegar based sauces with hot spices. If you
> > want to taste REAL Eastern NC BBQ, go to Wilber's BBQ in Goldsboro,
> > NC, about 1 hour east of Raleigh on Hwy 70.
>
> Wilber's is okay.

It was not bad but I didn't think it lived up to its rep.
Then again they are _really_ Eastern and I prefer Western.

The main distinction between the two being that Eastern is Whole Hog and Western is Shoulders. Yeah, there's the difference in sauce, too -- but the texture thing (which I find a big part of it) comes down to the meat.

> I had a bit of a hobby, driving all over the state to try different BBQ.

I don't usually go out of my way but there are a few I keep tucked in the back of my head... meaning to drop by when I'm in the area.

I'm rather partial to Red Bridges in Shelby. Not as good the last time I was there but I've had about the best BBQ I've ever had there in the past. The meat just melted in my mouth... mmmm.

Austen Bridges, across town (still in Shelby), is right good, too.

> My absolute favorite, hands down, is Short Sugars in Reidsville.

I haven't made it to Short Sugars but they are supposed to be the top of the top from several sources I've seen.

> About once a month when I lived down there I would make a pilgrimage to
> Lexington and split my supper up between Jimmy's BBQ and then head over
> to Lexington #1.  Preference for Jimmy's between the two.

I'll have to check out Jimmy's. Didn't know about that one.

> In and immediately around the Triangle I haven't found anything as good
> as Allen & Son on rt 86 in extreme north Chapel Hill (most don't even

Yummm.... real heavy on the smoke there. Real wood!

--
Mark Shuford

Now I know what a statesman is; he's a dead politician. We need more statesmen.
					--Bob Edwards

Visit me at: http://www.krazeemark.com