[TriLUG] Re: [OT] propane BBQs by my Window

Chris Hedemark chrish at trilug.org
Sat May 17 11:02:39 EDT 2003

On Friday, May 16, 2003, at 10:18 PM, Roy Vestal wrote:

> +1 for Eastern NC BBQ. Vinegar based sauces with hot spices. If you
> want to taste REAL Eastern NC BBQ, go to Wilber's BBQ in Goldsboro,
> NC, about 1 hour east of Raleigh on Hwy 70.

Wilber's is okay.

I had a bit of a hobby, driving all over the state to try different BBQ.

My absolute favorite, hands down, is Short Sugars in Reidsville.

About once a month when I lived down there I would make a pilgrimage to
Lexington and split my supper up between Jimmy's BBQ and then head over
to Lexington #1.  Preference for Jimmy's between the two.

In and immediately around the Triangle I haven't found anything as good
as Allen & Son on rt 86 in extreme north Chapel Hill (most don't even
know that's chapel hill, with intersecting gravel roads and such).

> For those from the North, "BBQ" is a type of food, not a cooking
> apparatus. The cooking apparatus is called a "grill". Not putting
> anyone down, just wanna try and bridge the language barrier. :)

Anyone who grills BBQ should be shot on sight. It can't be done.  BBQ
is cooked in a pit.  Grilling is a fast cooking method.  BBQ takes lots
of patience and hardwood smoke.  Gas won't do it.  Steam won't do it.
Hickory will, and so will a few other kinds of wood.