[TriLUG] Pimpin' Gentoo

Roy Vestal rvestal at trilug.org
Sun May 18 21:30:47 EDT 2003

One thing to keep in mind running ANY version of Linux with X inside of VMware, you have to install the generic video for X and then install the VMWare tools BEFORE starting X (startx command). I found that out the hard way. Don't start the VMWare session in runlevel 5, but runlevel 3. Then you can get X to work properly.

It may not be the best way, but it's the way I've gotten it to work.

This works for me on both Winders versions of VMWare and Linux versions, both ver 3.x

HTH

On Sun, 18 May 2003 16:36:46 -0400
Tom Boucher <trekkie at spamcop.net> wrote:

> On Sunday, May 18, 2003, at 02:55 PM, Lee Fickenscher wrote:
>
> > On Sun, May 18, 2003 at 10:43:45AM -0400, Tom Boucher wrote:
> >> Just curious, but have you gotten gentoo x to work under VMWare?  I
> >> got
> >> it all installed and went to follow the instructions for X11
> >> installation and totally hosed it (of course, since the video drivers
> >> are from VMWare)
> >
> > I've never tried to do anything under VMWare. What exactly do you mean
> > by "totally hosed", did the install fail, or is X just not starting?
> >

> When it comes to X and me, when X doesn't start, I deem it totally
> hosed.
>
> However, if I remember correctly, there were lots of messages I didn't
> understand that were gentoo related (emerge, etc) and at the time I
> went 'eh' and wiped the VMWare partition away from my laptop.   I was
> feeling evil one day and decided to try to run Linux, with VMWare, then
> Windows, and then VMWare inside of Windows (inside of VMware inside of
> Linux)
>
> I gave up after a while.  So I quit.  I've not tried again but I may
> decide to put it on a real computer here soon since I have one I need
> to format / on again.
>
> Just was more looking if anyone had tried it on vmware workstation.
>
> Tom

> TriLUG Organizational FAQ:

Roy Vestal
rvestal at trilug.org
http://www.trilug.org/~rvestal

The box said "Install Windows 2000 or better", so I installed LINUX!