[TriLUG] New version of Win4Lin

Michael Thompson thompson at easternrad.com
Tue May 20 15:00:36 EDT 2003

At the risk of being 'Off-Topic' (the word Windows is in this message)

;)

In case anyone on the list uses Win4Lin.  There is now a new version
(5.0) which now supports some DirectX.  This was not a feature that I
cared about, but I don't play games.  If you do, this *could* eliminate
the multi-boot configs or separate machines.  If you don't, but need to
use Windows 9X Win4Lin is great!  (No, I don't work for Netraverse, but
it is a good product!)

I use my KDE desktop (RH 7.3) and a full screen Windows session and can
toggle using ctrl-alt-F7 & F8, or run Windows in a window.  Very nice
for Quickbooks, Photoshop, Macromedia MX Studio.  (Thats all I use right
now...)

<snip>
What features are new in version 5.0?

*Increased Network Support - NeTraverse has implemented the Winsock2
standard for the default network stack.  This will improve performance
and
compatibility for a number of users who don't choose to use the virtual
network card and second IP address.

*Novell Client Support - Allows full access, including authentication,to
NetWare servers using the Novell Client software for Windows.

*Improved Audio Integration - The ability to autodetect and use audio
daemons such as esd, artsd, and our own nnaudio network audio
plugin.These
features will help integrate into the KDE/GNOME desktop or improve
remote
sound capabilities.

*Improved Video Performance - Win4Lin now has the ability to run Direct
applications that do not require direct hardware access or
acceleration.  As
our users give us feedback we will include a list of Direct X
applications that run well on Win4Lin.  General video performance has
also
been improved.

* New Supported Distributions - NeTraverse has been committed to
supporting
the latest Linux distributions.  Our latest supported distributions
include
Lindows, Xandros, Yoper, Gentoo, and many others.
</snip>

--mike