[TriLUG] Debian installation.

Roy Vestal rvestal at trilug.org
Wed May 21 21:57:49 EDT 2003

Why get the CD's? I just used the FTP install and the boot floppies? Also, there is a boot CD that is basically all the floppies crammed together. I just used it on an CD-RW and it worked fine.

I'm not going to start a distro war, so I can say this:

They are different. Not wrong, just different. Each distro has it's place and mindset.

Red Hat is more "bleeding edge" and supports more newer hardware, but there are a ton of patches in the kernel.

Debian is a VERY stable distro. The "stable" version doesn't have the same support level for newer hardware, so tweaking is required. But for older hardware, it works wonders.

With that said, I'd recommend trying both if you can. I've learned alot from both. I like both. I'm partial to Red Hat so I use it more.

UncleBen, How'd I do??  ;)

On Wed, 21 May 2003 16:23:27 -0400 (EDT)
"Tarus Balog" <tarus at sortova.com> wrote:

> Ken Wahl said:
>
> > Thanks, this was useful for me.  I've been a Red Hat user since 6.2 and
> > I was thinking of giving Debian unstable a whirl.  I wanted to ask for
> > this very type of feedback from RedHat users about their experiences
> > installing Debian but was afraid the question would come off as a troll
> > and/or start a distro war.
>
> I just rebuilt my main server this morning (with a Debian wizard's help)
> and the one thing to emphasize is that Debian's install doesn't seem to
> auto-detect hardware as well as Red Hat's install process. So be sure to
> know the manufacturer and model of your network card, graphics card, etc.
> (those were the two I needed, and it only needed to be as specific as
> "EtherExpress Pro" and "ATI"). Outside of that it was pretty slick.
>
> What I liked about woody is that since the new CDs are out, there was very
> little that had to be downloaded to get current stable.
>
> Finally, if you want the latest kernel, start the process with disk number
> 5 - that will install 2.4.18 - and then insert disk number 1 when asked.
>
> -T
> --
> Tarus Balog
> Consultant
> Sortova Consulting Group, http://www.sortova.com
> +1-919-696-7625
> tarus at sortova.com

> TriLUG Organizational FAQ:

Roy Vestal
rvestal at trilug.org
http://www.trilug.org/~rvestal

The box said "Install Windows 2000 or better", so I installed LINUX!