[TriLUG] Debian installation.

crimsun at fungus.sh.nu crimsun at fungus.sh.nu
Wed May 21 22:20:39 EDT 2003

On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 09:57:49PM -0400, Roy Vestal wrote:
> Why get the CD's? I just used the FTP install and the boot floppies? Also, there is a boot CD that is basically all the floppies crammed together. I just used it on an CD-RW and it worked fine.

I concur. If you have a fast (broadband+) connection, use the network
install method. See:
http://people.debian.org/~blade/XFS-Install/download/new/bootbf2.4-xfs.iso
for a 38.1 MB iso you can use to bootstrap an installation.

> Red Hat is more "bleeding edge" and supports more newer hardware, but there are a ton of patches in the kernel.

Yep, and like most commercial vendors, their non-vanilla kernels undergo
quite an amount of testing. With a bit of work, a vanilla kernel can be
patched up similarly.

Dan Chen                crimsun at fungus.sh.nu
GPG key: www.unc.edu/~crimsun/pubkey.gpg.asc