[TriLUG] Debian installation.

Bill Gooding bgood210 at yahoo.com
Thu May 22 17:26:11 EDT 2003

Hi,

This reply is for Ken (who was considering installing Debian) and Ben.  Ben suggested you go with the sarge distribution.  I would say that you should not use the sarge installation process given on the debian.org page.  I actually tried it when I was working on the Woody installation.  I figured that I would probably be working with the testing (sarge) distribution anyway.  When I tried the sarge installation process, it failed to mount my swap space.  Later research into it showed that the sarge install is built weekly.  I think they may have a bug in it.

I basically agree with Ben though.  But use the Woody installation, and read over my original comments (they may help).  Once you have installed woody then use apt-get to upgrade your distribution if you like.

Bill Gooding

// Original post

Ken,

Debian unstable is NOT for production use.  Honestly, I'd go with Sarge
(testing) if I were you.  Folks who use unstable (Sid) are expected to do
bug reports regularly, and really participate in the development process in
that manner.  If you're willing to do that, and have your machine be
bleeding edge, but always have the potential to break, lockup, etc., go for
it.  But the community view is that there is a feedback and assistance
responsibility that is expected of Debian Unstable users.  That being said,
do what you like, but be warned that asking for help in any Debian forum
will probably get you shorter shrift than usual as an unstable user.

Regards,
Ben Pitzer

"Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety
 deserve neither liberty nor safety."
 --Ben Franklin--