[TriLUG] question for RPM gurus

Matt Wilson msw at redhat.com
Fri May 23 00:35:47 EDT 2003

On Thu, May 22, 2003 at 10:24:39PM -0400, Jeremy Portzer wrote:

> I suppose that explains why some packages that don't seem to be
> architecture dependent, such as "kernel-source," are still seen as i386
> packages.  (Since the kernel-source package is a subpackage that's built
> from the main kernel src.rpm.)

Bad example - kernel-source is architecture specific because it
contains the pre-built interface version information, which is
architecture specific.  It also does things like exclude all of the
non-i386 /usr/src/linux-$VERSION/include/asm-* directories.

But you're right - there are some packages which contain no
architecture-specific bits at all like bash-doc.

Cheers,

Matt