[TriLUG] question for RPM gurus

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Fri May 23 01:01:39 EDT 2003

On Thursday, May 22, 2003, at 05:40 PM, Mark Turner wrote:

> I'm building an RPM for FlightGear (www.flightgear.org), the
> open-source
> flight simulator. The package is a good candidate for splitting into
> subpackages, since one large part of it is architecture-independent
> config files and graphics.
>
> Is there any way to specify that a subpackage should be built for a
> different architecture (in this case, noarch)? I can't seem to make
> this
> work with the BuildArch variable.
>
> I suppose I'll be breaking it out into another spec file if not.
>
> Mark

Mark,

I would suggest that the fact that they're architecture independent
config files and graphics is *not* a good reason to break them
out into a different package.  Instead, ask yourself if you think
these files will ever be used with any other package.  If the answer
is no, then there is no reason to put them in a different package.
If the answer is yes, then you should consider it (but don't consider
it a fait acompli).

I would suggest you take a look at this file before you go packaging
it yourself:

ftp://ftp.trilug.org/linux/mandrake/Mandrake/9.1/contrib/SRPMS/
flightgear-0.9.1-3mdk.src.rpm

That's packaged for mandrake, but it should build on Red Hat (once
you sort out the different names for build and runtime dependencies).

Cheers,
Tanner