[TriLUG] sendmail question -ONoRecipientAction=Add-To-Undisclosed

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Fri May 23 12:28:13 EDT 2003

Hello,

According to the documentation, enabling this option will add an
"Undisclosed Recipients:;" header to email that doesn't have a To:
field.  I need this behavior for sending out email with BCC recipients
from an application.

However, it doesn't actually work.  Email continues to be sent out with
no To: header at all (which tends to trigger spam filters).

I've put this in sendmail.mc, rebuilt sendmail.cf, and restarted the
daemon:
	define(`confNO_RCPT_ACTION', `add-to-undisclosed')dnl

I've also tried running "/usr/sbin/sendmail -t
-ONoRecipientAction=Add-To-Undisclosed" and feeding it mail with BCC
headers.  It doesn't work... the special "To: Undisclosed Recipients:;"
header NEVER gets added.

I've also tried just including the "To: Undisclosed Recipients:;" from
my application.  I've also tried the syntax of "To:
undisclosed-recipients:;" which seems to be sometimes used.  However,
the mail then gets bounced with this error:
553 5.1.3 undisclosed-recipients:;... List:; syntax illegal for
recipient addresses

I'm using sendmail-8.11.6-25.73 on Red Hat Linux 7.3.  Any ideas on how
to get this option working?

This requirement is important enough to me that I'll switch to postfix
if Postfix can do this properly.  Does anyone have experience with
similar options in Postfix ?

Thanks!

Jeremy Portzer

--