[TriLUG] sendmail question -ONoRecipientAction=Add-To-Undisclosed

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Fri May 23 16:49:35 EDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-05-23 at 16:19, Jon Carnes wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-05-23 at 15:56, Jeremy Portzer wrote:
>
> > BUT, I'm still not sure it's working right.  Suppose I try this on the
> > mail server:
> >

> "NoRecipientAction=action" option is designed to handle problems with
> some broken MUA's (of which there are quite a few). Postfix does this
> out of the box. I'm not sure why Sendmail doesn't.
>
> The design is to add a valid header into the email for processing by
> some other application or milter. One thing it can do is grab the
> envelop sender and add that as a To: field inside the email.

The envelope sender?  Hmm, that might be useful.  What is the option to
make it use the envelope *sender* as the To: field?

The sendmail documentation says that the "Add-To" option for O
NoRecipientAction will "add a To: header with any recipients it can find
in the envelope (which might expose Bcc: recipients)" .  Note this is
*recipients* not the envelop sender.

> Did you restart Sendmail after rebuilding the Sendmail.cf file?  Other
> than that, you might want to file a bug (or see if it's already filed).
> I'm sure this feature is not well used (though it would have come in
> handy for some earlier versions of Mailman!).

As I put in my reply to Chris, I did restart sendmail, and I even just
did a sanity check to make sure my changes to sendmail.[mc|cf] were
taking effect, by temporarily changing the DAEMON_OPTIONS line.

I'm going to take a breather until Tuesday and then if I'm still having
this problem I'll try it on some other machines and maybe file I bug
with Red Hat.

> > Also, do you have any ideas about the other error message I was getting
> > when I manually put the "To: undisclosed-recipients:;" header in?  This
> > is the error:
> > 	553 5.1.3 undisclosed-recipients:;... List:; syntax illegal
> > 	for recipient addresses
> >

> Well, this is quite simply an illegal format for an email address.

Agreed, but I guess it's okay to have it in the mail headers, but not in
the envelope recipients.  Since my application's usage of "sendmail -t"
is converting To: headers into envelope recipients, the error is
triggered.

Thanks for the help!

--Jeremy

--