[TriLUG] sendmail question -ONoRecipientAction=Add-To-Undisclosed

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Fri May 23 16:19:12 EDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-05-23 at 15:56, Jeremy Portzer wrote:

> BUT, I'm still not sure it's working right.  Suppose I try this on the
> mail server:

"NoRecipientAction=action" option is designed to handle problems with
some broken MUA's (of which there are quite a few). Postfix does this
out of the box. I'm not sure why Sendmail doesn't.

The design is to add a valid header into the email for processing by
some other application or milter. One thing it can do is grab the
envelop sender and add that as a To: field inside the email.

> telnet localhost 25
> HELO localhost
> MAIL FROM: <irrelevant at example.com>
> RCPT TO: <blind.recipient at example.com>
> DATA
> From: <irrevelant at example.com>
> Subject: Email with no To, CC, or BCC
>
> This is the body of the email
> <dot on a newline by itself>
>
> Then, I check the inbox of "blind.recipient".  The message is
> successfully delivered, and still has no To, CC, or BCC headers.  But it
> should have a header of "To: undisclosed-recipients:;" because
> sendmail.cf was built with that option turned on!  Why was no "To:"
> header added?

Did you restart Sendmail after rebuilding the Sendmail.cf file?  Other
than that, you might want to file a bug (or see if it's already filed).
I'm sure this feature is not well used (though it would have come in
handy for some earlier versions of Mailman!).

> Also, do you have any ideas about the other error message I was getting
> when I manually put the "To: undisclosed-recipients:;" header in?  This
> is the error:
> 	553 5.1.3 undisclosed-recipients:;... List:; syntax illegal
> 	for recipient addresses

Well, this is quite simply an illegal format for an email address.

Jon